Internet is a distinctive device for information communication. It came into existence in Nigeria vividly in the year 1995 but was not really into full existence until it was tested in the very year in the University. Thus; (Obafemi Awolowo Univesity) Today the internet is all over the Nigeria with a wireless LAN, with the aid of hardworking researchers it keep on improving.
Now we see internet in our door step working for us in our houses and offices whereby we get information and buy things online even without leaving our houses.
It was as a result of a project work by RINAF. It was proudly backed up and financially sponsored and supported by UNESCO (United Nations Education, Science and Cultural Organization). So many workshops were organized to educate the Nigerian citizens. It was first tested in the University (Obafemi Awolowo Univesity).
Internet started fully in July, 1997 through the influence and energy of a PHD Student of Electrical Engineering at the Rivers State University of Technology who saw the need of students to interact with each other. He and his friends popularise internet in Nigeria. He later then formed the Internet Society of Nigeria (ISN).
The president of the Internet Society Chapter in Nigeria is Professor Thomas Chukwuemeka Nwodo. These formed the basis of internet in Nigeria and since then the internet has really been improving.
It started with people who were able to send and receive messages. People were able to chat, later on interesting sites were been introduce to Nigeria which make people more active, e.g hi5, Facebook, badoo, etc, later e-banking was introduce, also buying and selling became more interesting online.
And there became many more benefit of the internet as it continues to improve. Research gave eagerness to creating many site as more were coming and today we even have WhatsApp, WeChat, 2go, IMO etc.
The internet is a tremendous, undisputed force for economic growth and social change. Not only has it unleashed new forms off connectivity, but it has also provided an outlet for new forms of innovation, entrepreneurship and social good.
The internet has also proven a dynamic tool for stimulating economic growth in developing countries, with the World Bank reporting that a 10% increase in the broadband correlates to a 1.38% increase in GDP growth.
Beyond the GDP growth, the internet also provides opportunities to pursue social and developmental objectives.
As we can further see; through the invention of the computer and the internet, the possibilities welcome to us are endless. Societies are changing with no distance times with no stopping point in the future generation.
The internets affect us in every area of our lives, most importantly with our social lives, our jobs, Educations, and our Entertainment.
Our social lives do not base only on telephone or mail communication anymore. Surfing the net is the new and more preferable way we choose to be communicating with people as it help us to communicate easily and faster to people and above all less expensive.
Chat rooms are open on the internet to enable people talk directly with other people, who may either be in the other side of the world.
E-mail which is use to refer to Electronic mail is another easy and more convenient way of communicating to people even within and outside the country with an online mail-box by typing and just clicking a button.
Two second to send an e-mail to someone in another part of the world is quicker than a week or more through the ordinary mail.
Stock trading is now on the internet, along with banking and any other type of business you can imagine.
This is as interesting that no gas nor time is wasted on the process. The inevitable of this invention is going to change the world and the society is happy about the way things are changing.
Things are easier and cheaper with the choice of having a computer and going on-line, there’s almost nothing you cannot do.
This remarkable idea of internet is going to revolutionize the way we live in the future.
Hmmm!!! Anything that goes around comes around; the internet as benefiting as it is, have a negative part. Most of us know the pros of having a computer and internet access link us to other part of the world and provides us with information we us to search for at the library etc.
These are some of the negative part of the computer and the internet world:
- Computer as an agent of distraction; computer has cause distraction to people so much that they lose contact with reality around them, such as family, husband, wives, boyfriend, girlfriend, and even friends and children as communication is based on chatting online etc.
- It opens up kiddy porn and other immoral things; imagine a child having access to the internet and been introduce to a site that contains hard/soft-porn and the child became so interested about the site and in no distance time he introduce it to the friend as a place of satisfaction and pleasure, who knows before a tinkle of an eye he would want to practice it physically worst more he introduce it to a female child also imagine the influence.
- Sitting on the computer all day is hard for the eye; as the eye is not free to too much of light. Whether it is a desktop, laptop, tablet or mobile phone, our eyes are fixated at one screen or another, be it for work, study or play. It usually affect your sleep patterns due to the blue light that is emitted these screens.
- Hackers can ruin your computer system; as there are criminals who are always looking for a way of changing information on your computer system this has discourage people from having computers and internet.
- More crimes are committed through the internet;just of recent it was reported of a young man in Nigeria who was stealing 1kb each from every bank in Nigeria on daily basis, when the secret got leaked report say he was sponsored oversea for a great research and hard work, imagine stealing in a bank! Not only that but other crime such as posting of pornographies, 419 etc.
- Spammers are annoying; spamming is the act of sending mail, especially advertising material, through the internet to a large number of people, who have not asked for it and this can be so disgusting.
- Posting of wrong information; people who are jobless can sometime decide to criticize others by posting nonsense.
- Possibility of knowing strangers; as it is possible to meet people online you may get to know people who I suppose where not to be known as there begin to send you fake stories and this has led to hard break to many and mistrust has become inevitable in the society as when the right source give an information, it is no longer accepted.
- The younger generation would rather communicate through computer easier than working towards making friends or finding love, in the good old fashion way. Thus; part of the magic of falling in love is lost people breakup in e-mails rather than facing the persons and as well as all generations have been taught before we must take responsibility for own actions.
There is a young generation coming up where information is at one’s finger tips too easily and then it becomes a personal thing in some people’s lives.
Before one knows it all will be like a zombies wondering why no one is relating to them.
Why technology is a wonderful thing it is almost likely that it can be used in an immoral or wrong way.
There is a price to pay for everything even if it appears it making life easier on people.
LAST WORDS: Internet has served a whole lot of good, but let focus only on the positive assistance it has rendered to us and neglect the negative part of it.
Don’t leave without a comment!
Also do not forget to share the post for more awareness!