Latest posts by Mathias Amodu (see all)
- How To Apply INEC Recruitment for 2019 Elections in Nigeria - January 20, 2019
- Xiaomi Redmi Note 7 Specifications and Price In Nigeria - January 11, 2019
- How to Check Airtel Data Plan - January 2, 2019
Professionalism in writing is the virtue of writing style with a sincere and specialized focus on the designated subject and the purpose of written communication. Professional approach signifies professional writing skill of the writer along with best productivity out of the writing effort. But before we lay our focus on professionalism, let’s check first what a professional genre of writing is.
Professional writing is a paid job a person does. Moreover, it may refer to a specific type of communication used in workplace, and people mostly use it to initiate communication relating to business or a specific purpose. Professional writing is done with a typical official tone and it is explicitly different from creative, artistic, or academic approaches. The main quality of professionalism in writing is about maintaining a formal tone in writing for achieving a specific output or purpose. General purposes of professional writing are the following, either any one of the reasons or a mixture of two or three reasons together:
- To initiate actions from the readers
- To instruct the audience
- To influence readers
- To inform your target audience
- To assert an assigned goal.
What is professionalism in writing?
In this context if the question is raised “what is professional writing”, the answer will be an extensive list perhaps. In short, the texts which are done for professional purposes, like business letter, business email, sales letter, white letter, press release, marketing communication, etc. are some common examples of professional writing. If the writing is done in an organized way, keeping complete focus on result/output, it adheres to the rules of professionalism in writing.
The rules of maintaining professionalism in writing
There is no formula for maintaining professionalism in writing because professionals consciously modulate their writing style according to target audience. Still, a few general rules help in maintaining professionalism in written communication. These are:
- Straight approach of writing with comprehensiveness and clarity (for readers to understand the communication readily)
- What is written has to be errorless in terms of language, approach, and spelling
- Writing style should be to-the-point and mostly unbiased
- Communication should be flawless in terms of authenticity and linguistic accuracy
- Ability to identify the target audience and talent to create content for motivating the target audience.
These are the general rules of inducing professionalism into your writing style. Besides accuracy and authenticity, readability of a write-up also displays the professional talent of the writer.
Professionalism and technical writing
Technical writings are business writing and these are done with a specific target of communication. Business organizations employ writers to develop content in order to convey precise information to the target audience. Professionalism in technical writings means,
- Authenticity, clarity, and accuracy
- Comprehensive writing style that readers will understand and appreciate
- Subject-centric, concise, and informative expression.
If a writer adopts a professional approach in presenting the topic via his write-up, he will be able to introduce smart professionalism in his writing style. However, it is still vital to know how to write with professional efficiency. Let’s check here.
How to write with professional skill
All professionals are not experts. Similarly, all writers are not professionally proficient. But following a few tips, a writer can add a smart professional pitch in his writing. A few professional writing tips are shared here for ready reference of newbies.
- Always maintain authenticity. As a writer, your duty is to convey best information to your reader. Maintaining authenticity of information is one of the obligations of a writer to his readers, which is a part of his professionalism.
- Be concise. A professional writer should know how to keep his readers captivated as readers expect peppy, concise, and relevant information from a professional write-up. Also, a consistent flow of language makes writing style crisp, which is a mark of writer’s professional proficiency.
- Introduce a format. An expert writer should maintain a format in his writing. There should be an introduction, the main context of writing piece, and a conclusion with a clear call to action on each communication. The talent of inducing the format along with relevant readability is one of signs of professionalism.
- The writing has to be visually appealing. When a write-up becomes visually appealing, it becomes more memory-friendly and attention-grabbing. Adding subheadings, bullets, infographic, etc. will help readers to get the main point. This consequential communication is considered as the display of writer’s professionalism.
These are some aspects of professionalism in writing. In one word, when a written communication serves its optimal purpose of convincing its readers about the intrinsic purpose, it is considered that the writer has induced professionalism in writing. You may find more tips on developing your writing professionalism at Yourwriters.net, the hub hosting only best talent with the most advanced writing skills.