Latest posts by Mathias Amodu (see all)
- How To Change Apn Settings Of Glo Wifi Modem - February 16, 2019
- How To Take Screenshots On Latest Infinix and Innjoo Android Phones - February 16, 2019
- How can you become a top casino online player? - February 11, 2019
A Meta description is an HTML and XHTML element that describes your page to search engines. While the perceived (and real) importance of Meta data has depreciated, the attribute still plays a significant role in SEO rankings. This definition was given by Word stream and it proves to be the best and simple way to describe Meta description with small words.
Meta description is an HTML or XML element which tells search engine’s crawler about the webpage. Plus it is also picked us as snippets in search result and as description when you share the post on Google+, Facebook, Twitter and other social networks.
How long should the Meta description be?
Meta descriptions can be any length, but search engines generally truncate snippets longer than 160 characters. It is best to keep Meta descriptions between 150 and 160 characters.
What is the Meta title?
The Meta title is the HTML code that specifies the title of a certain web page. It appears at the top left corner of your browser when you visit a web page. In coding, the Meta title is embedded at the header of a web page, above the Meta description and Meta keywords tags.
What does a Meta description do?
The function of a meta description for your page is simple: its main purpose is to get the visitor from Google to click your link. In other words, meta descriptions are there to generate click through from search engines.
CHARACTERISTICS OF A GOOD META DESCRIPTION
It should be around 135 to 160 characters.
There is no ‘this number is right’ in this. It depends on what Google adds to your search result and how much they want to show. Google might, for instance, add the date to an article, and that will reduce the number of characters.
It could contain structured content.
Your Meta data should have content that are structured and is best describe the entire post in about 160 characters.
It should match the content.
This is important. Google will find the meta descriptions that trick the visitor into clicking. It might even penalize the site that created the meta description. You want the meta description to match the content on the page.
How to Enable Meta Description for Blogger by Adding Meta Description for Home Page
First we need to enable meta description for blogger by adding one for home page of the blog. Follow these steps;
- On your blog’s Dashboard; go to your Settings > Search preferences > Meta tags > Description and click the Edit link.
- Click the ‘Yes’ radio button.
- Enter the meta description for your blog. This will appear on your homepage and other multi-post pages.
- Click ‘Save Changes’ button.
You have successfully enabled meta description for your blog and added a new meta description for you blog’s home page.
Adding Meta Description to Each Blogger Posts and Pages
After doing the above you will see some change in your post or page editor. You will see a search description option. So; for adding meta description to each blogger posts and pages follow these steps:
- · On blogger dashboard click ‘Posts’; then select a post to edit or create a new post. For adding meta dashboard in a page go to ‘Pages’ tag and select a page to edit or create a new one.
- · Click on ‘Search Description’ option under Post settings. It will not appear unless you have followed the step one above
- · Enter the Meta description for the post and click ‘Done’.
You have to go edit each post manually for adding meta description in older posts.
Lucky you if you’re using WordPress there’s a plugin called Yoast SEO. So by installing this plugin you’ll have the whole thing in one place, all you’ve to do is to start filling the space
If you properly write a Meta description; chances are you post will be in top of the search results and more visits via social Medias. So you can understand why it is very important for your blog. Most importantly it is a vital tool for SEO (Search Engine Optimization)